15 Sep 2021

What if I think someone shared HIV with me?

If you believe that someone may have shared HIV with you in the last 72 hours, you can use PEP, an HIV prevention medication, to reduce the chance that the HIV virus will spread in your body. You should see your doctor, an HIV services organization, or an emergency department to get PEP. They will ask you about the situation, make sure you are HIV negative at the time of ingestion, and monitor you for side effects. If all goes well, they will prescribe you a one-month course of medication that should help reduce your risk of getting HIV. If you find yourself in this situation, you should consider using PrEP to prevent HIV transmission in the future.


Learn more about HIV


Get more information about living with HIV

Get Tested

Find testing and prevention resources


A collection of answers and resources

We’re here to connect you to the information and resources you need.

Do you have questions about HIV? Do you want to know more about testing, connecting to care, or how to show support? Are you interested in learning more about how SIDE BY SIDE can help your community? Fill out this contact form and someone from our team will be happy to help you find answers.


Please be sure to include your preferred method of contact. We respect your privacy and we do not share your information without your permission